Thursday, September 20, 2012

I Can See Clearly Now

 Last week I picked up a bag full of these curtain rings and after a conversation about turning your own photos into viewmaster discs, decided that it would be fun to use slides for the images... then after thinking that if I use the slides, then that's the end of the slides, I thought about transparencies and how I could print "slides"... then I thought about how much more interesting boxing bunnies are than travel slides from the Garden of the Gods.
 My first attempt at filling the rings with ice resin was a disaster. It all leaked right out... I read somewhere that flypaper was the answer as it's stickier than packing tape. Perhaps it is, it's also far more disgusting to get off your fingers and everywhere it touches...and it still leaked.
 I finally figured it out - the solution involved placing a heavy board (and two large atlases) on top of the rings while the first layer of resin cured.
 The rings are now curing quietly relatively drip-free and fly-free.
Meanwhile - I also bought this cool table for displaying jewelry in my shop. Judy from Gatherings came over and taught Suzy and I how to distress the piece to make it look this beautiful. Suzy was here on vacation from Denver... isn't that nice of me? Invite friends for a vacation and then make them refinish furniture? Ha.

2 comments:

Penny-Rose said...

Looking forward to seeing the cured rings. I think the table is amazing - all those drawers and cubbies to put things.

sue said...

These look great - love how your brain goes from thinking about one thing, extrapolating the idea and coming up with something new and exciting! I do however think that perhaps you and I should get aluminium hats - to prevent idea leakage across the ocean - we are often on the same page aren't we?!