Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Meet My Peeps

Hello.
The taller one in back is the Buff Silkie.


This is the Black Frizzle - already has fluffy feet!
AND - loves to be held!

When I started this blog 2 years ago, it was all about what was going on at Two Dog Pond - mostly the chicken house we were working on. I had never had chickens before and with the help of my niece Kim, got 12 of the sweetest Red Star hens and one badass rooster named Cocky Rocky who ended up going free-range after attacking me one too many times when I was hanging up laundry.....
Easter Sunday of this year there was a terrible mass murder committed. We called in CSI Two Dog Pond but the crime was never solved. We think it was a mink. That's all I'm saying about that. It still freaks me out to think about it.
TODAY - I went and picked up some new chicks and they are Adorable!!
This time I got a variety - 3 Speckled Sussex, 3 Cuckoo Maran, 9 Aracauna (they lay green eggs). I was talked into also adopting a Buff Silkie and a Black Frizzle.
When they are adults, they will look like this:
Top row Left to right - Speckled Sussex, Buff Silkie, Cuckoo Maran
Bottom row L to R - Aracauna (they can be any color from buff to lilac to red to brown), Black Frizzle, and another Speckled Sussex.
...I haven't made any crowns for them like I did last time... at least not yet.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH how beautiful they all are!
Having chickens is a long-time dream of mine, but we have to live in the city because of my husband's job. Maybe someday... and a potter's wheel and kiln, too!!
Oh, you're gonna have so much fun naming them. And, I have to say, anything with "frizzle" in the name HAS to be the coolest thing alive.

~Heatherj

Jill said...

These will be fun to watch grow. And, that lovely chicken house of yours should not be empty!

Little Messy Missy said...

I raise silkies amongst others. I had a raccoon take out my entire flock, twice. I now am a proud owner of a golden retriever. Problem solved.

lynn bowes said...

Ah, racoons. I have traps if you need them because these sweet little beauties will be fun to watch grow.

Vintage Christine said...

My husband walked into the office just as I started reading your post and of course I had to show him the peep pix and of course he said, "Oh, I suppose now you want a CHICKEN, too." Hmmmm. Unfortunately, we have a huge raccoon population around here and short of building a bombshelter-style chicken house I'm pretty sure sooner or later we'd have problems. I will live vicariously through you and Miz Chicken.

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

We've lost a number of our chickens to predators too. Our girls free-range so we expect it to happen, but it's never easy. Normally raptors get ours, but we did have what I think was a stoat, and recently a fox attack as well. Jerks.

Your babies are adorable!

Linda M. Cain said...

Litterally your Peeps! Too cute.

Linda