Friday, June 4, 2010

Building An Obelisk

I love gardening and putting cool stuff for vines to grow on in the middle of it. So - I bought a "Green Wood For the Garden" book and saw this 'easy' project. An Obelisk. I just came in from building my own. I should stick to making jewelry. My obelisk is pathetic. I whacked up a pussy willow for the sticks and only used half as many as the above illustration because the poor thing was looking lopsided! (the willow and the obelisk)

Oh - and notice how nothing is growing under the obelisk? Something keeps digging up my seeds. You'd think I would have built the obelisk lower to the ground so Bambi couldn't get at the seeds and tender plants.... Form vs. Function. It's an ongoing debate in my head.

6 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

I like yours better then the books!!!! You need some gourds growing there!
xoxoxo

Unknown said...

it looks pretty good to me! put some chicken wire around it until you get some growth going maybe?

lynn bowes said...

Oh Rachel, you made me laugh out loud! Maybe you need to stake out a 'cat with a purpose' in your garden. Our Ink and Oprah certainly keep the wascally wabbits away from the seedlings. However, you'd think that whatever is digging up your seeds would take one look at your obelisk and collapse in giggles. Snarkily :: xo lynn

Two Dog Pond said...

...and I took the picture from the straight side! You should see it from the other side. The varmints will think they are seeing the Eiffel Tower doing the Leaning Tower of Pizza!

Chickens in the Basement said...

Very fun!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

ahhhh ha ha ha! What is funnier, the obelisk or the necklace - we don't know!! Nice try with the obelisk...you were much braver that we would have been :)