Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Few Random Things

None of these photos has anything to do with the other, except that they were all taken with my camera. Top photo - I have never seen a pillar coming out the bottom of the sun at dusk before. I have seen a pillar coming out the top at dawn though... what is this called?
For those of you who tried (or are going to try) the cake in a mug...Shelley said that they substituted 1 medium carrot grated and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon for the cocoa in the original recipe and made carrot cake. I was going to try that, but didn't have any carrots in the house, so I used 1/4 of an apple and 1/2 tsp cinnamon and made apple cake. Yummy. For the frosting, cream cheese, powdered sugar and a little vanilla. Perhaps you have tinkered with this recipe too! Let us all know what flavor(s) you have come up with...

Bauble Charms. They crack me up.

11 comments:

Mama K said...

The pillars coming out of the bottom of the sun are still called sun pillars. They are explained at:
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/pillar.htm

Very nice picture. and about the cake... I have been resisting the chocolate variety but I think I might get behind in testing all the different flavor possibilities, so I might better get busy and make some mug cake!

Two Dog Pond said...

Thank you for the website! Beautiful pictures of sun pillars on there. First time I saw one coming out the top of the sun I thought it was the end of the world - God is great - giving us these incredible shows to freak us out every once in a while.

Jill said...

Great pictures! I'll probably not try the cake for awhile because one serving around here isn't too practical--a 9x13 is gone in 24hrs! Maybe my daughter can try it in her dorm.

High Desert Diva said...

Ok...must mess with that cake recipe. I'll let you know what I come up with...it will be gluten free.

Your bubble charms are great!

Cool sun photo, too.

Jody Blue said...

I have 1/2 of a hat box full of babbles, it's a little collection of tiny windows, I keep thinking I will do something with them --just looking is something!

Debra said...

R~ These are so sweet- like everything you create.
The cake...the carrot version would be a 'healthier' choice now wouldn't it??? I'll try that next.

Daryl said...

Good shots ... clever adaption of the recipe and I am coveting ALL those bubble charms because they make me smile .. okay ...they make me giggle .. a lot

eb said...

oh my we are lusting over the mug cake and I am smitten with your sunset column - I am a NE girl at heart and I so miss these big skies - you have made my day...
and my son's - who is making a mug cake NOW... almost

love from VT

come to Squam?

xox - eb.

Linda M. Cain said...

Beautiful sunset!!! I love that picture, girl!!!!! TFS. There are a few things beautiful about midwest winters.
Linda

La Feroce Bete said...

I got my necklace and I. Love. It. Thank you Rachel!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these baubles Rachel!! I love how you added the wings!! You are so good!!

ox,
Joy~